Announcing the Fifth Annual Van Johnson Blogathon!

 

It's time to announce the return of one of my favorite events: my Van Johnson blogathon! MGM's Golden Boy, America's Sweetheart, and the bobbysoxers' dream man, Van is one of classic Hollywood's most underrated talents, which makes me all too glad to host this annual three-day tribute to him.

The rules are simple: talk about Van. You can discuss his films, his TV appearances, his stage work, or his personal life -- just remember to be kind! Also, a topic can only be taken a maximum of two (2) times. I would love for this to be a diverse celebration of Van because he more than deserves it.

To join, please leave me a comment, select a banner below, and I'll see you in August!


Topics No Longer Available

Confidentially Connie


List of Participants:

Love Letters to Old Hollywood | Six Underrated Van Films

Realweegiemidget Reviews | Superdome (1978)

Journeys in Classic Film | The Caine Mutiny (1954)

Silver Screenings | The Last Time I Saw Paris (1954)

Taking Up Room | Three Guys Named Mike (1953)

Whimsically Classic | Van's appearance on I Love Lucy

Dubsism | Battleground (1949)

Crítica Retrô | In the Good Old Summertime (1949)

KN Winiarski | Easy to Wed (1946)

Caftan Woman | Brigadoon (1954)

Champagne for Lunch | Confidentially Connie (1953)

MovieRob | Miracle in the Rain (1956), 23 Paces to Baker Street (1956), and Confidentially Connie (1953)

18 Cinema Lane | Plymouth Adventure (1952)

In the Good Old Days of Classic Hollywood | Yours, Mine, and Ours (1968)




Comments

  1. I'd love to participate and cover The Caine Mutiny if possible!

    Thank you!

    Kim- Journeys in Classic Film

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michaela, could I do "The Last Time I Saw Paris" if not already taken yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michaela, could I do "The Last Time I Saw Paris" if not already taken yet?
    (I'm having trouble commenting on Blogger sites tonight... -Ruth at Silver Screenings)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can! And your comments came through for me -- I just get a lot of spam so I now have to approve comments before they can publish. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, Michaela! I'd like to review "Three Guys Named Mike" if that's all right. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love for you to do that movie! It's one of my very favorites.

      Delete
  5. Can I write about Van Johnson's appearance on "I Love Lucy" ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most certainly can! I adore that episode.

      Delete
  6. I’d love to write about In the Good Old Summertime for the blogathon!
    Thanks!
    Le from Crítica Retrô

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you to join... https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/2021/07/06/blogathon-announcing-the-no-true-scotsman-blogathon/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! I'd love to participate again and I'm going to pick one of Van's movies that I haven't seen yet - Easy to Wed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice! That's a fun one. Thanks for joining!

      Delete
  9. I would like to contribute a piece on Brigadoon for the blogathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! So pleased that that film will be part of this event. Thanks for joining, Paddy!

      Delete
  10. I'm in love with these banners *_* can you put me down for Confidentially Connie (1953)? champagneforlunch.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! And thank you! I went super lazy on the banners this year (hence why there are only two), but I really liked how they turned out.

      Delete
  11. Can I do:

    Miracle in the Rain (1956)
    23 Paces to Baker Street (1956)
    Confidentially Connie (1953)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Michaela! May I join this event again by reviewing 'Plymouth Adventure'?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Michaela,

    Here's my Superdome post;

    https://weegiemidget.wordpress.com/2021/08/24/tv-superdome-1978/

    Hope all is good with you

    Gill from Realweegiemidget Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  14. https://whimsicallyclassic.wordpress.com/2021/08/27/van-johnson-blogathon-i-love-lucy-the-dancing-star/

    Here's my post about "The Dancing Star"

    Whimsically Classic

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you happen to know if Van Johnson did his own singing in Brigadoon? I know some of the actors were dubbed, but he had a good singing voice, and it sounds like his own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did! Van always did his own singing and frequently did musicals when his career was more focused on the theatre in his later years.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You might've missed these popular posts...

Loving and Fighting Furiously: Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

Top Ten: Fred Astaire's Partners

Announcing the 100 Years of Esther Williams Blogathon!

Announcing the Sixth Annual Doris Day Blogathon!

Fred Astaire tells Rita Hayworth... You Were Never Lovelier (1942)

Esther Williams enthralls in... Dangerous When Wet (1953)

Bob, Bing, and Dottie take the... Road to Rio (1947)

The Fifth Annual Doris Day Blogathon is here!

Fred and Ginger's Cinematic Farewell: The Barkleys of Broadway (1949)

Ann Sothern and Robert Young can't stop marrying each other in... Lady Be Good (1941)