Goodbye, Paddy

 

I'm in shock.

Patricia, also known as Caftan Woman and Paddy Lee, has passed away.

For the last seven years, Paddy became one of my favorite things about blogging. Sweet, kind, and incredibly supportive, the comments she would leave me gave me so much joy and encouragement. She loved movies right to her very core. There was never a film I could talk about that Paddy didn't know, and even if she didn't like one I wrote about, she could still find something positive to say about it and my writing.

Although I never met Paddy in real life, the news of her death is devastating. Who she was as a person -- smart, caring, optimistic, ebullient, funny -- shone through her words so brilliantly, I felt as if she were an old friend. Every time I published a post, I wondered what delightful thing Paddy would comment. Whether she was sharing a lovely anecdote about her children (whom she clearly adored), mentioning that she saw a specific movie star perform in a stage production (which never failed to make me jealous), or gushing over her enjoyment of an actor or film (if it was Paddy-approved, you know it was quality stuff!), I soaked up every single word.

I can't believe I'll never have her participate in one of my blogathons again; I could always count on her to be game for any topic I did. I really can't believe I'll no longer get to read her thoughts and bask in her encyclopedic knowledge.

Paddy, you were truly one of the best. I'm so sad that you're gone, but I'm so happy I got to share this world with you, even if it was much too brief.

Thank you for everything.

Comments

  1. Oh no.. what awful news 😞
    I'm so sorry to read this, but your tribute was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It doesn't nearly convey how wonderful she was, but I had to write something for such a dear woman.

      Delete
  2. Sad news; your words here are a lovely tribute to 'Caftan Woman'. May she rest in peace.

    - Valerie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What terrible news. Paddy was one of those who kept me going when I was ready to quit blogging. She really was a cheerleader for all the newcomers, with her humor and praise and wisdom. And what a fabulous blog she wrote. This tribute is dead on. Every word was true for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so beautiful to see how many lives she touched. She embraced everybody with kindness. Such a big loss for us all, not to mention her family.

      Delete
  4. I read this terrible news last night and was heart-broken in a way I don't normally feel for people I've never met. But everything you wrote about Paddy is true and likely felt by everyone who had any interaction with her. It's hard to imagine this corner of the internet without her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I honestly couldn't stop crying last night. She was just an incredibly special person, and blogging won't feel the same without her presence.

      Delete
  5. That was a beautiful tribute to her, Michaela. She was definitely one of my most faithful reader and blogathon participants and herself a great writer and I'm sure a wonderful person as you perfectly explained in your text. That news is a shock and she'll definitely be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Virginie. I still keep expecting to see her name pop up when I check my comments. I have a feeling it's going to take a looong time before I don't.

      Delete
  6. She always told me that everything she knew about sports, she learned from me. All of our worlds are that much better for having had her in them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tribute, Michaela. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. As soon as I heard Paddy was gone, I knew I had to write this. She was such a light.

      Delete
  8. A great tribute. Paddy Lee really was a warm and welcoming presence in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly was! Thank you for the comment.

      Delete
  9. I'm shocked! I talked to her not long ago. Lovely lady. She was always kind and respectful. She'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shock to me, too. I knew she'd been having health issues, but I guess I didn't know the extent of it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You might've missed these popular posts...

Loving and Fighting Furiously: Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

Top Ten: Fred Astaire's Partners

Announcing the 100 Years of Esther Williams Blogathon!

Announcing the Sixth Annual Doris Day Blogathon!

Fred Astaire tells Rita Hayworth... You Were Never Lovelier (1942)

Esther Williams enthralls in... Dangerous When Wet (1953)

Bob, Bing, and Dottie take the... Road to Rio (1947)

The Fifth Annual Doris Day Blogathon is here!

Fred and Ginger's Cinematic Farewell: The Barkleys of Broadway (1949)

Ann Sothern and Robert Young can't stop marrying each other in... Lady Be Good (1941)