My Relationship with Classic Films.



Ever since I can remember, I’ve been watching old movies. When I was little, I was obsessed with THE WIZARD OF OZ. I had a Dorothy doll, shiny red shoes, the VHS tape—I even went to a "Wizard of Oz" festival dressed just like Dorothy. To this day, it’s my favorite film.
Thankfully, my mom is a big classic film fan, too. She’s probably the main reason why I’ve found this whole other world called the Golden Age of Hollywood. Every year around Christmas, ever since I can remember, we would watch HOLIDAY INN. More than likely it was my first black-and-white film.


It wasn’t until about five years ago, though, that I started paying attention to the classics. I don’t know what or how it happened, but all of a sudden I wanted to know everything and anything about old movies. I re-watched HOLIDAY INN and THE WIZARD OF OZ and actually saw Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire, and Judy Garland. It blew my mind. Imagine the scene in FUNNY FACE where Audrey Hepburn is kissed by Fred Astaire and she's wandering around the bookstore in a love-induced haze. That was me.
Around this time, my older sister had discovered Marilyn Monroe, and she was always giving me information and giving me interesting things to read. I couldn’t get enough—I still can’t. I try to watch a film at least once a week, whether it's new to me or one I've seen 342 times (looking at you, TOP HAT!). I’m exploring something new every day, and I can’t wait to share my discoveries with you all. So, sit back, relax, and breathe in the cinema. And always feel free to share your opinions, memories, and ideas with me, too.
With love,
Michaela

Comments

You might've missed these popular posts...

Loving and Fighting Furiously: Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

Top Ten: Fred Astaire's Partners

Announcing the 100 Years of Esther Williams Blogathon!

Announcing the Sixth Annual Doris Day Blogathon!

Fred Astaire tells Rita Hayworth... You Were Never Lovelier (1942)

Esther Williams enthralls in... Dangerous When Wet (1953)

Bob, Bing, and Dottie take the... Road to Rio (1947)

The Fifth Annual Doris Day Blogathon is here!

Fred and Ginger's Cinematic Farewell: The Barkleys of Broadway (1949)

Ann Sothern and Robert Young can't stop marrying each other in... Lady Be Good (1941)