The One Lovely Blog Award.


Darling Simoa from Champagne for Lunch has nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award! Thank you to Simoa for giving me my first one of these! And to my readers, please go check out her blog. It's pretty wonderful.

The rules for this award are as follows:
1. Write a blog post accepting your nomination.
2. Show the blogger who nominated you how much you love them by thanking them in the post and linking to their blog.
3. Tell us seven things about yourself.
4. Nominate other blogs that you love.
5. Let the bloggers you’ve nominated know about they’ve received an award.
6. Post the rules again to let those bloggers know how it works.


For my past two Liebster Awards, I've been avoiding nominating other blogs because I hardly ever get a response, but let's give it a go this time with some bloggers I have never nominated before:


And now for the seven things about myself:
1. I recently decided to apply to grad school to go for my Master's degree. I'm already exhausted.

2. Why am I getting my Master's? When I came back from my trip abroad this summer, it became clear to me that I would really like to become a film professor. Obviously, I love talking about old movies and film history is my biggest passion, so teaching others about it is super exciting to me. I can finally create my own syllabus! (That might be the nerdiest thing I've ever said.)

3. While I was in Prague this summer, I got to visit with fellow blogger Virginie while she was vacationing there! It was really cool to actually meet.

4. Aside from becoming a professor, my biggest goal is to write a book about Esther Williams. I want it to be a critical look at her filmography and how her career was a reflection of the culture and Hollywood in general. I feel like (almost) no one takes Esther seriously and that's a damn shame.

5. Working on a presentation over Breakfast at Tiffany's last year, I got into a fight with my partner because I called Holly Golightly a call girl and he disagreed. I'm going to say I won, although I'm pretty sure it was a draw.

6. I saw Bye Bye Birdie on the big screen today! And on Wednesday, I'm going to see Young Frankenstein! Whoooo!

7. I know I've mentioned this on my blog before, but I'm honestly still over the moon about it. Four years ago, I sent out a bunch of letters to different stars. I only got two responses, but they're among my most prized possessions. Dick Van Dyke and Leslie Caron, you're the best!



Thanks again, Simoa, and congrats to my fellow nominees!

With love,
Michaela

Comments

  1. Good luck on your Masters! I'm glad you're writing a book on Esther Williams. I've seen other people announce their own books on classic film stars/historical figures, and I'm excited to support you guys. :) and inspired to write my own.

    Dick Van Dyke and Leslie Caron are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully my Esther Williams book is the start of many. As for Dick and Leslie, they were so sweet to reply to my letters. I didn't even send them photos to sign -- they supplied that themselves!

      Delete
  2. "I can finally create my own syllabus!" ahaha love that! Congrats on your award! :) Your career perspective looks pretty much like mine. I think I would be interested to be a teacher too and I would like to write a book about an actor or an actress! I was thinking of French-Canadian actor Paul Dupuis, who also starred in French and British movies. He was pretty much popular in his time, but today he's kind of forgotten.
    You mentionned Prague and that reminds me, for my 2nd class of Film History since 1959, we talked about Czech New Wave and watched the movie Daisies. Have you seen it? It's pretty weird. I wonder what the movie maker had smoked lol!

    And I'm here to tell you that I've also nominated you for an award ahah. The Sunshine Blogger Award. :) You can have the details here:
    https://thewonderfulworldofcinema.wordpress.com/2016/10/04/my-first-sunshine-blogger-award/
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to focus on the forgotten people of Hollywood, although it leads to a lot of frustration. "How is this person not more well-known?!" is a question I often ask myself.

      Ugh, I'm sorry you had to watch Daisies. My Czech cinema course went over the New Wave and that was one of our examples. We read an article that looked at the film's feminism that was pretty interesting, but for the most part, I couldn't stand it. Too much grated on my nerves.

      Thanks for the nomination! It's wonderful to get two in two days! I'll check it out right away!

      Delete
    2. Seriously, I just wanted to slap those girls's faces lol

      Delete
    3. Haha! Very understandable. Their giggling is enough to make anyone go insane.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your award, and thank you again for the nomination! I'm already dreading at the thought of applying to grad school, and I haven't even graduated just yet. I wish you all the best, and I'm really looking forward to your Esther Williams book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't graduated either! In May I'll have a Bachelor of Arts, and then the following fall, if I'm accepted, I'll be right back at it as a graduate. It can be a lot to process, so you should give yourself plenty of time to prepare.

      You deserve the award just as much as I do, trust me!

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh, I somehow totally forgot that applications are turned in a year prior... As of now, I'm still trying to weigh my options, so I'll just have to see where things lead me to. I should be graduating sometime next year as well (most likely in the fall), so there's still a bit of time for me to apply if need be. But that's very exciting, you're almost there!

      And I really can't thank you enough. You're too sweet!

      Delete
    3. Good luck to you! And you're very welcome!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the nomination! I've been trying to think about 7 about myself lol so I'll try to do it later on today. Sorry it's been taking me so long.

    Congrats on your award! Interesting to learn more things about you!

    Oh and I've nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger award! https://theoldhollywoodgarden.wordpress.com/2016/10/11/sunshine-blogger-award/

    Thanks again and sorry for being a procrastinator-tator.
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! And thank you so much for the nomination! I'm swamped with schoolwork right now, so I might not be able to get to it until next week.

      Delete

Post a Comment

You might've missed these popular posts...

Loving and Fighting Furiously: Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

Top Ten: Fred Astaire's Partners

Announcing the 100 Years of Esther Williams Blogathon!

Announcing the Sixth Annual Doris Day Blogathon!

Fred Astaire tells Rita Hayworth... You Were Never Lovelier (1942)

Esther Williams enthralls in... Dangerous When Wet (1953)

Bob, Bing, and Dottie take the... Road to Rio (1947)

The Fifth Annual Doris Day Blogathon is here!

Fred and Ginger's Cinematic Farewell: The Barkleys of Broadway (1949)

Ann Sothern and Robert Young can't stop marrying each other in... Lady Be Good (1941)